Tribes Ascend Beta

Re: Tribes Ascend Beta

Postby myr » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:21 am

I also have a spare beta key.
myr

Postby Riktah » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:17 pm

apparently i have yet another invite so if anyone who doesnt have 1 ive got another spare

scrap that i think i have 3 now O_o
Riktah

Postby Deepjay » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:18 am

Funny to see some of you guys on the server the other day, brings back memories etc. The game is definitely the most Tribes-like experience in a very long time, though I think it still needs work. I’m still not very happy that certain classes don’t have a spinfuser, or a variation of it – ie the stealth spinfuser that the infiltrator has. I wish they’d allow the technician to have one, though I am still working towards unlocking the thumper which should help. His SMG is good but I find it very difficult to kill people indoors with it – particularly infiltrators.

With a few more maps, and some work to polish Arx and Nova, i think it could be a great game - maybe even a great clan game - not that i have the time to be commited to anything game related, with a wife who fucking detests that i play anything - FFS
Deepjay
Flounder

Postby Riktah » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:59 am

I playef quite abit on the weekend as a tech with a thumper ( hi Shitpants ) and fucking love ot tis good fun enjoying it alot
Riktah

Postby SoulFire » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 am

Yeah, Tech Thumper is a bit over the top.

Still hate the flag game, over reliance on Nitrons (hi Thrawn!). Mach 50 back cappers make me hate life. Cappers rabitting back at their base in standoffs. Touching the ground once, maybe twice on the way back to their base. Not fun without the tools to deal with it (gren launcher, better CG).
SoulFire
Hi My name is Shitpants

Postby Thrawn » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:57 am

I didn't find the chasing was too bad for most people, most maps I would nitrous jump after people and catch them before they got back. I was averaging between 6-10 chase and returns each map without using the nitrous to make them drop the flag. I'd rather kill them I guess ;) That said, there is no stopping someone like Bloody on a Mach 10 back cap route...unless you block or disc him before he picks up the flag. A good D on the flag will stop them a lot of the time though.
Thrawn

Postby Deepjay » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:46 pm

ahaha i was telling young prawn about the nitrons just the other night, the darling little pup had nfi what they were or what they did. Now look at him, Mr Nitron_pants - actually i might take that as my future nick.

I have to say ive changed my mind in regards to the speed of the game. I thought it was bad initially but now that i too use nitrons like a whore, I find it hard not to go at speed. Can even get considerable speed as a soldier with proper disc jumping.

I havent had many problems chasing players down, even the super fast ones as i always cut across the midfield. Players who grab and go straight down the middle on a map like Katabatic are usually the nubs as they can be spotted very easily coming in. Particularly the ones who cap front to back and come over the little hill etc - very easy to then run them down. The best/fastest cappers usually take it on a massive journey as in order to get their speed up, they've gone super wide - and if any of you have done these routes, you'll know how fucking annoying it is, as you go way out, come in at warp speed, and the flag is ALWAYS llama grabbed by some pleb who'll drop it 1-200 metres later.

Because these super fast cappers go wide, i havent really had much issue running them down by going through the midfield. It's only if you actually try and pursue them directly that there's little chance you'll get them.

I've been playing a lot of HoF as doombringer, and find i stop the majority of the grabbers with nothing but mines and chaingunning them as they come in. Forcefields are also a good deterrant, but spend most of the map being down due to the gens being destroyed.

Ive been playing Soldier defence a lot more, and moreso, have been going on attack as Soldier with the specific aim of keeping the enemy flag stand clear of forcefields, claymores and mines. I find if you can keep the enemy cleared, you're drastically increasing your teams side of winning.
Deepjay
Flounder

Postby myr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:13 pm

..and this is why I am liking the game.

I have been defending gens mostly...usually because fek all other folks will and if I can keep Shitpants away, the team has a good chance of winning!

So, a few diff folks commenting on the diff things they like doing in the one game.

Yes, the non-directional jets fek me off no fekking end. I overshoot doorways and shite still cause i expect to be able to tap >>>>> way with a bit of jet and hook a right, not sail gracefully off over there <<<<<<<<.

Other than that I am finding it a heap of fun, even moreso now I have unlocked stuff.

BTW, Fractual fekking Grenades are flamin OP !
myr

Postby Deepjay » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:54 am

Problem is though Myr, those different roles arent remotely as deep as they were in T2. While they seem alright at first, it does get pretty old. Base defence is just repeatetive clearing out infiltrators and HO, repairing, repeat. There's none of the other layers of depth that were in T2. No changing of turret barrels, laying down intelligent turret farms, placing inventory stations for defenders, laying mines etc.

Hell - if you play Doombringer, you're dropping mines and forcefields, but even that feels limited as hell. It is fun, but i wonder about its longevity.
Deepjay
Flounder

Postby Cure » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:14 pm

Haven't played this beta since December last year, but it sounds like they've made some decent changes since then. Will have to jump on a give it a go one of these days.
Cure

Postby Saraquin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Deepjay wrote:Base defence is just repeatetive clearing out infiltrators and HO, repairing, repeat.

...That is base defense in a nut-shell isn't it?

its all i remember doing on heavy D.....maybe it was because i was in 52nd/21st. ho humm
Saraquin

Postby SoulFire » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Thrawn wrote:I didn't find the chasing was too bad for most people, most maps I would nitrous jump after people and catch them before they got back. I was averaging between 6-10 chase and returns each map without using the nitrous to make them drop the flag. I'd rather kill them I guess ;) That said, there is no stopping someone like Bloody on a Mach 10 back cap route...unless you block or disc him before he picks up the flag. A good D on the flag will stop them a lot of the time though.

That's the thing, the slightest distraction and the mach 10 cappers (there's more and more of them), are gone. Yeah you can chase and intercept, but then it's reliant on intercepting them at the same time they actually happen to hit the ground on the way home, and hopefully you don't overshoot because you're going too fast to turn.
SoulFire
Hi My name is Shitpants

Postby Deepjay » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Saraquin wrote:
Deepjay wrote:Base defence is just repeatetive clearing out infiltrators and HO, repairing, repeat.

...That is base defense in a nut-shell isn't it?

its all i remember doing on heavy D.....maybe it was because i was in 52nd/21st. ho humm

Yeah true, but base D in T2 at least always had more to it. You could deploy sensors, little hidden invs to resupply when HO's had the base controlled, tons of stuff. In TA the base assets arent even destroyable, and the gens will auto-repair after a period.

It's hard to explain what i mean, but i just know that in T2, the whole base interior element was much more interesting than what's in TA. TA is more just base deathmatch, where IMO in T2, there was more strategy to it - and of course base death match.
Deepjay
Flounder

Postby Riktah » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:57 pm

now in open beta dont need a key now apparently
Riktah

Postby Larno » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:01 pm

t1/t2 felt like a sport if you get what i mean, ta feels more like a standard fps with jetpacks to me imo.
Larno

Postby Deepjay » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Yeah but if you get a game with good players on both sides, that sport feeling is there. Particularly on Katabatic imo, which is probably the most Tribes map in the lineup - although the broadside clone is pretty well done too - have forgotten the name.

The new lava map in last nights patch with the starwolf bases also looks awesome, with very T1/T2ish style bases.
Deepjay
Flounder

Postby SoulFire » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:46 am

Haven't played the new map yet, but the only map that gets a Tribes feeling for me is Crossfire, and that's because the gens are close enough to the flag that you don't feel like it's 2 different games being played at the same time.
SoulFire
Hi My name is Shitpants

Postby Deepjay » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:09 pm

have you seen the new bella gens? big improvement
Deepjay
Flounder

Postby Thrawn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:50 pm

For anyone still playing this and for those who should start playing it again (Myr and Rik!) - there is a pretty good patch out today.

Patch notes:

http://www.egmnow.com/tribesascend/trib ... -1-0-1055/

Highlights include:
Dangerous Crossing and Stonehenge maps brought in, and an indoor flag stand map (permafrost)
Some decent balance changes (more MA's for disc launchers)
Clan tags (Suit up AE style).
Joining random games will put you with people close to your rank, so more even games hopefully.

Game still has its flaws (SMG's and OP Shrikes) - but it still feels close enough to old school Tribes action to keep me entertained until GW2 and PS2.
Thrawn

Postby Deepjay » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:27 pm

Currently loving Secret World & Dota2 until GW2
Deepjay
Flounder

Postby Cure » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:50 am

Only just started playing this game properly over the last two weeks. Been having a fair bit of fun with it, might have to jump on the buttah mumble and join one of the pugs.
Cure

Postby Deepjay » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Pity the community is under the thumb of WhiteWanker
Deepjay
Flounder

Postby SoulFire » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:19 am

Too little, too late. DX and SH can go die in a fire too...
SoulFire
Hi My name is Shitpants

Postby Deepjay » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:11 pm

WW and crew have disbanded their team in a teary protest over the last patch Shitpants. It's lol
Deepjay
Flounder

Previous

Return to News