Tribes Ascend Beta

Tribes Ascend Beta

Postby dirtYbird » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:39 am

Nearly forgot all about this but Nov 4th is the day that the closed beta begins.

ATLANTA - November 3, 2011 -- Hi-Rez Studios today confirmed that the Closed Beta for Tribes: Ascend will begin on Friday, November 4, 2011.
Studio representatives also announced that no character wipes are planned during Beta.
Player advancement in terms of rank, class unlocks, and skill progression will carry forward beyond Closed Beta, into Open Beta and into Release.

Previous Tribes titles have been played by well over 1 million gamers and feature fast-paced, jetpack-enabled multiplayer combat. Tribes: Ascend continues this tradition, delivering speed, verticality, vehicles and stunning graphics within an entirely new, free-to-play game for the PC.

The Closed Beta build of Tribes: Ascend includes two initial class options - the Soldier and the Ranger, 10 additional classes available to be permanently unlocked, 3 drivable vehicles, 2 game-modes, and servers located across North America, Europe and Australia.
Prior to release Hi-Rez will also support Ranked Servers and Private Servers.

Compared to Alpha, Tribes: Ascend enters Beta with even more unlockable classes, a skill & perk system, and additional projectile-based weapons" said Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios Chief Operating Officer. "And we plan to deliver new playable maps and classes after Beta and even after Release. Our dev team is excited to reintroduce such a fast-paced, team-based shooter and we are looking forward to playing alongside the Beta community.

Players interested in joining the Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta can register for an invitation at http://www.tribesascend.com.

Those wishing to guarantee a Closed Beta spot may purchase the Tribes: Ascend VIP Starter Bundle at the game's official website. The bundle includes automatic admission into Beta, permanent VIP status in the game, a 30-day Booster and 3000 Tribes Gold. The VIP Starter Bundle is priced at a 33% discount to list price, as a reward to the game's early testers.

The VIP Starters Bundle is USD$29.99 if you feel like forking out the hard earned (unless you are Val) before you know what you are getting into.
dirtYbird

Re: Tribes Ascend Beta

Postby SoulFire » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:31 pm

*giggle*
SoulFire
Hi My name is Shitpants

Postby Serris » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:31 pm

hah, i aint touching that with a 5000 foot pole.
Serris
Angry Gnorbu

Postby SoulFire » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:35 pm

Like T:V, everyone is starry eyed over a game with skiing and omg a spinfusor. With the complete lack of depth compared to T1 and T2 (fuck, even T:V) it's astonishing that there's tribes vets gargling this shit.
SoulFire
Hi My name is Shitpants

Postby dirtYbird » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Have you read any feedback about the beta Shitpants, what are peoples thoughts on it?
dirtYbird

Postby SoulFire » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:56 pm

dirtYbird wrote:Have you read any feedback about the beta Shitpants, what are peoples thoughts on it?

Depends where you read. Hi-Rez public forums is a lot of negative. Tribalwar, lots of negative. buttah, is a bit of both. Actually prefer the TW feedback (omg), because it's usually looking to the future and the lack of depth, rather than what you're seeing on buttah "OMG I CAN SKI AND SHOOT DISKS THIS IS AMAZING!".
SoulFire
Hi My name is Shitpants

Postby Deepjay » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:04 pm

I played it today - gamespy are giving free keys away. Pretty underwhelmed tbh
Deepjay
Flounder

Postby SoulFire » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27 am

I'm pretty sure it's a cash grab, but in the sense of desperately trying to recoup some of their investment. Being a corporate **** and being around a lot of stupid corporate ****s in my life, here's my guess.

They realized they didn't have the money to do t:u, decided to scrap that, budgeted a smaller amount for t:a with the thinking of trying to institute as many of Scott Z's gay ideas into what should have been a pretty simple game to develop.

So we get loadouts, perks, Tribes Gold, etc. None of which make sense in an "e-sport".

So the dev team blew through a big chunk of their money developing these things instead of the core game. It's the only explanation for why nothing of significance has changed since Alpha began.

Out of the blue, Alpha is shut down and VIP Beta is announced (as word of ****ness continues to get out).

I have no idea how much they spent on the IP (100 or 200k?) and also no idea of how much they budgeted for the game (500k?) but the whole thing feels rushed, not thought out and incomplete, which is what everyone is saying. Who knows how much money is spent at the shows... tens of thousands I would imagine.

So Erez has put the stop on any significant work as any ****er with money will always revert to protecting their own money first.

This won't make money, they'll probably recoup 1/2 of their investment and the game will wallow in it's current state.

This, I firmly believe. The only thing that would sway my opinion is if they actually drop the loadouts and go to a weapon/pack/skin/vanity items model...

Quote from a guy on TW :p

It was originally going to be an MMOFPS (T:U). It looks like they've ported all the RPG shit into it and refuse to move despite how shit it is.
SoulFire
Hi My name is Shitpants

Postby dirtYbird » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:10 am

That is interesting and I guess not surprising.
There must be no money in remaking something by simply updating the graphics but perhaps that wouldnt please anyone either. Certainly be cheaper if it didnt work out.

This VIP revenue raiser should sound alarm bells, it usually would in any other business venture.
Just doesnt look like there is going to be much more than an attempt to recoup as much of the costs they can.

Wont be on my list of things to do, that VIP thing makes me think they are already strapped for cash.
dirtYbird

Postby Deepjay » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:04 am

Thing that is annoying is there's potential for a good Tribes game in what they have created - but it's buried beneath layers of utter shit. The class system is just terrible..terrible...that and the 90 weapons that are all the same syndrome. I keep posting it, but having the class system as incentive for people to want to buy them all is just the most retarded thing ever.

IF they had focused on remaking and updating (aka following the successful formula) then looking at ways to make it more mass market (aka to draw in more potential players), then they may have created something good. Right now, like other people have said, it just feels like trash. The basic gameplay style IS there - it does feel Tribesy when falling from the sky and merging into a ski etc, but that's about it. Actually getting up and started from the ground feels terrible due to no thrust, and you seem to maintain a consistent speed by just holding ski, even along a really long flat surface. The ui is also fugly, with nice big boxes that pop up to announce kills etc - blocking half your screen temporarily. In fact, i wonder if someone from the dev team helped BF3 design their new chatbox.
Deepjay
Flounder

Postby Serris » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:46 am

Hijacking thread to +1 vote fotr BF3's cancer chat box...wtf were they thinking?
Serris
Angry Gnorbu

Postby dirtYbird » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Wtf is this chat box, I don't notice anything on the scale you guys are talking about.
Could be hidden under the post-it note?
I'm home in 12hrs to check it out!
dirtYbird

Postby Saraquin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:02 pm

Played the beta, no interest from me at all.

+1 WTF BF3 chatbox!
Saraquin

Postby Riktah » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:13 am

Played for a few hours last night with some mates and i found it quite fun. will take a bit.to get use to but yeah i enjoyed it
Riktah

Postby SoulFire » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:25 pm

Yeah, i'm playing a bit now. Has improved TONNES over the last 2 months from when I first played. The baseline classes with nothing unlocked are effectively worthless though - a horrible experience for anyone that has played T1 or T2 for a long period of time (or if you're just OCD and like playing many roles in a match if needed).

And with the way the community is talking about 7v7 matches, I wouldn't want anything to do with something that small. Pub game only.
SoulFire
Hi My name is Shitpants

Postby myr » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:23 pm

Been playing a bit as well last 2 nights.

The more I play the more I like it.

Very different feel in some ways from previous Tribes games, but more fun than anything else I have played recently.

Also, I was watching MALKS-Serris on an old T1 demo and got the bug again! ;P
myr

Postby Serris » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:50 am

hhahaah

I watched total biscuit going over the recent changes, I would be keen to give it a go. anyone got a key?
Serris
Angry Gnorbu

Postby dirtYbird » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:02 am

I think you only need to put your email down at their website and you'll get inundated with offers of keys for yourself, friends, friends of friends, and even your friends of friends of friends.
dirtYbird

Postby Larno » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:33 am

I just cant get past the lack of movement, it really bugs me beyond belief. It's so close to being a good tribes game its annoying. Having jet only do vertical boost is fucking annoying not being able to strafe sidways in the air with jets is mega gay for people used to t1/t2 and really makes dueling homo.

I havent played in about 2 months though so mayhaps things have improved?
Larno

Postby Saraquin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:44 am

I had another jam last night for a bit, need to give it some more time tho.

But i was the same Larno, last time i tried it out was about 2 months ago and it has changed quite a bit. ya may want to give it another look.
Saraquin

Postby Riktah » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:54 am

Imo we have a game tonight. and jules if by chance u have a facebook acc or know someone who does all they need to do is like the tribes game and u will get a key.
Riktah

Postby Serris » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:15 am

Yeah I have a gaytownbook account, I will get me a key and give it a whirl. Probably not tonight though.
Serris
Angry Gnorbu

Postby Riktah » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:08 am

Ive played the last two nights im enjoying it. even if im no pro likr prolly most of u ex tribes players but me enjoy it :)
Riktah

Postby Thrawn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:33 am

I might have to give it a crack, relive the disc launcher experience.
Thrawn

Postby Deepjay » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:06 pm

In this most recent patch, which overhauled the class system etc, there's definitely a lot more thrust than in previous versions. I can clear some major height on maps like Katabatic without raising a sweat, where previously it took quite a lot of effort.
Deepjay
Flounder

Postby Riktah » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:36 pm

if anyone doesnt have a key for beta access, it appears i have recieved another key in my mail so hit me up and i can give u spare key
Riktah

Postby Thrawn » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:57 am

Got a key from Rik last night and decided to give it a 30 minute go.

Four hours later at 1:00am I had decided i was a fan. There are too many classes and guns (all Tribes needs is a disk launcher, a chain gun and a mortar) and there is still some work to do on balancing...but even with the base pathfinder kit with No upgrades I was hitting skiing speeds of just under 200k/ph and was mowing people down as LO or LD. Played some good games with people who knew how to Defend a base and destroy a generator. I also mid-air disced some newbs and capped flags in under 15 seconds with disc jumps and good capping routes; but at the same time got smashed by light D who knew what they were about; so they have atleat nailed some aspects of the tribe experience!

I will certainly give it a crack and try out more of it tonight. Certainly a faster game style than T:V and feels similar enough to T1 to keep me entertained. I also like the emphasis on base defense and assault and not just flag capping. Your turrets and forcefields around the flag are lethal, and having your generator down screws you up. Maitaining your base with turrets, upgraded sensors etc makes a big difference. I'll be interested to give Heavy offense a go tonight and see how it plays
Thrawn

Postby Thrawn » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:04 pm

I also agree with Larnz that the lack of sideways jet movement is annoying. However, I found the rest of the skiing movement pretty good, and still enjoyed some great on the move duels revolving around predicting where they would land and leading a disc shot to intercept them. It felt very similar to T2 and an altogether natural tribes style. That said it would be probably more annoying in heavy armour.
Thrawn

Postby Serris » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:18 pm

I found the sideways jetting to be fucking annoying. Also you hit a leaf in the middle of china and go from 250kph to 0 in 1 sec flat.

Game felt ok though and I kind of enjoyed it.
Far too many people actually trying to play CTF and not MA each other in the midfield though, dissapoint! :)

Something wrong wrong wrong wrong with not having a Disc launcher AND a chaingun as LD/Midfield.
Serris
Angry Gnorbu

Postby SoulFire » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:18 am

Have 2 beta keys to give away.
SoulFire
Hi My name is Shitpants

Next

Return to News